‘Ottawa’ Patient Suffers Severe Burns After Fart Ignites Fire During Surgery
A woman was left in agony after she farted during surgery, which ignited a fire on the operating table that burned most of her body, according to a hospital report.
The patient, 30, was undergoing a procedure on her cervix at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital which involved the use of a laser.
When the laser was applied to her cervix, the gas from her body caused it to spark and catch fire, singeing her waist and legs and causing her to scream in pain, reports Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun.
The incident occurred back in April, but is only public now after an external investigation.
According to the committee looking into the incident, all surgical equipment was working properly at the time, and no flammable materials were present in the operating room.
“When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire,” the report states.