Barb Friske was washing dishes in the kitchen of her Dacre, Ont., home Friday afternoon when a loud noise told her something had gone wrong.
“I said to my husband, ‘Oh my gosh, it sounds like somebody coming in the yard with a flat tire,” Friske said.
“So we started out of the house to see if whoever was in the vehicle needed help. [By the] time we walked out the back door, the police helicopter was over the house.”
For nearly 24 hours, police had been scouring both the roads and the skies for Ugo Fredette, a Quebec man wanted after a six-year-old boy disappeared from Saint-Eustache, Que., just west of Montreal.
- Quebec boy who was subject of Amber Alert found safe, Ugo Fredette taken into in custody
- Quebec man arrested in Amber Alert case injured, transferred to Ontario hospital
They had issued an Amber Alert late on the afternoon of Thursday, Sept. 14, when Véronique Barbe was found dead at a home in the city.
Fredette’s white pickup truck was found the next morning near Lachute, Que., which is where it’s believed Fredette commandeered a dark grey Honda SUV that belonged to 71-year-old Yvon Lacasse.
Barbe’s death is being considered a homicide, police have said. As of 3:30 p.m. Sunday afternoon, Lacasse was still missing.