‘Ottawa’ Dogs, Horses Moved From Grass Fire Area
Ottawa firefighters put out a grass fire before it got out of hand Wednesday, removing 20 to 30 dogs from a nearby kennel and also moving several horses, in case the fire spread.
The fire was started just after noon at 3904 March Road near Upper Dwyer Hill Road, the result of a problem with a faulty lawn mower.
By the time a fire crew arrived, a grassy area about 15 by 15 metres was burning. They put it out about 20 minutes later.
There’s a temporary ban on burning brush or grass in rural areas because of dry conditions.
As well, an Ottawa bylaw prohibits the burning of wood in an uncovered setting such as an outdoor fireplace, fire pit, metal drum or chiminea in the urban and suburban areas. Barbecues and electric, oil-fired or propane heaters are allowed.
A fire service spokeswoman thanked the homeowner for calling for help right away instead of trying to put out the fire: “This quick intervention from the caller and Ottawa Fire Services prevented fire spread to surrounding buildings as well as injuries.”